Sunday, September 24, 2023

Moda BH5 - Blocks 1 & 2

 I've followed along with Moda Blockheads Series in the past, but this is the first time I've actually jumped in to make some.  Since I have an abundance of autumn fabrics, I decided to start there.  That should give me lots of options since I don't know where this series is headed.

Block 1 - lots of unstitching, I wanted to cut down on seams created with all those half square triangles, so I used my GoCube to make that parallelogram.  It is a 'directional' die plus this block has the shape going in opposing directions.  So I also had to cut twice to get it right.  Then I always, always want to sew that triangle onto the wrong ends, when it goes on the sides of the shape.  After all that,  I  DO like my block.




Now as for block 2, I do wish I made the squares that sit on the inside corners a softer color; one that accents the colors in the star.  BUT,  that is too much unsewing to change it.  It would be easier to make another.  We'll see where this series leads before I decide to do that.



I'm joining these lovely linky parties this week.  Be sure to visit them to see what other creative quilters are sharing.

         Sunday  -  Quilting is more fun than Housework...

Monday   -   Small Quilts & Doll Quilts

                      Monday Musings at Songbird Designs

Tuesday  -   Blog Posts – Quilt Schmilt

        Wednesday   -   Quilt Fabrication

The Inquiring Quilter

Thursday   -   My Quilt Infatuation

Friday  -  Alycia Quilts

Confessions of a Fabric Addict


I wish you a great week.  Thanks so much for stopping by. 




10 comments:

  1. Those are great blocks, Kat! I'm sorry they took some unsewing to get them the way you wanted. The center fabric is really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two very lovely blocks. (hum... you could tell us what numbers you used from your Cube to make that great first block.... 😉)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kat! What a good idea that was to cut the parallelograms instead of using the HSTs.Oh, I am so challenged about deciding how they should be cut, though. I'm 100% that I would have had to cut them so many times I would have had to buy more fabric. What cool blocks!! You centers are so fun. Keep up the great work. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about the unstitching but they do look good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your colors for Blockheads 5. Your centers make the others just sparkle. Trying to decide the colorway for mine, I gaze at all the others on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love your blocks, and like you this is my first time diving into the Blockheads blocks. I found the first one really difficult to make and the 6 inch was a challenge, it wasn't perfect but good enough!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both of your blocks look great in those gorgeous fall colors! I like the way you reduced the number of seams in the first blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What pretty little blocks! I adore your fabric. So beautiful! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/09/27/wednesday-wait-loss-347

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great blocks and pretty colors. I follow along with the Blockheads, but haven't made any of them yet!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!