Saturday, September 12, 2026

RSC Purples for Sept & a new flimsy

 This week I made 3 new blocks from the purple scrap bin. Some refer to this block as the 4 Corners block.  I call it my 4 Corners Ohio block.  These blocks take longer to dig and cut for appropriate color scraps than it does to sew them up.  They are so cute at 6" tho.  I especially love the ones that are totally scrappy.  Isn't it funny that you have to actually do these things to determine your preference and style.


I also pulled a couple leftover strips of purple and yellow and made a few 16 patch blocks.


Do you have unusual fabric prints in your stash that you're unsure what to do with? I had this wild psychedelic print that finally said it might flow nicely cut up for a Spring Splash quilt.  Pattern: Spring Splash | Quilting Daily  ( there is a link to the pdf file)  I made one years ago and always had it in my mind to make more.

So I had to cut up a kit for the project to have handy.  Yesterday I went and stitched it together!  Doesn't that always happen, if the units are ready to sew, we can't stop the process.  AND  I've had another pair of fabrics that is not suitable for children's taste, so I cut this one up into another kit!  It can go to a retirement home when it's finished.

Here is the 'wild' one - I'm calling it Spring Splash on Steroids.  I still have some of this fabric left, I may put it in a halloween quilt. The background fabric looks white but it is actually a celery green batik.  My photos were taken indoors.


I'm joining these lovely linky parties this week.  Please be sure to visit them to see what other creative quilters are sharing.

Wishing you a happy and creative week.  Thanks so much for stopping by.


17 comments:

  1. The Spring Splash is awesome! Wonderful use of that crazy print. I like how the 4 corner star blocks came out, and especially the scrappier versions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome use of that crazy print!! I did laugh about you cutting the kit and then piecing it until it was a top. . .it was a project that needed to be stitched!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those purple blocks are pretty, Kat- I can't believe they're just 6 inch blocks! Love the Spring Splash design with your wild print. That was the perfect thing to do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow wildly physedelic is right! I'm pleased it told you how to deal with it, tuned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your purple blocks are beautiful, Kat! I love how you dealt with the crazy print; Spring Splash turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your scrappy purple blocks are beautiful, they look great in both white and yellow backgrounds. I love Spring Splash on Steroids, what a perfect pattern for an unusual fabric! I have some in my own stash, it's looks like this pattern is a great way to use them! Thank you for sharing your inspiring work and linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spring Splash is the perfect quilt for that colourful print! Nice purple blocks too. I need to dig into my purple scraps this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the pattern site. I'll have to give the stash a good perusal to see if I have any thing that might work... wait, I might have a hunk of a pretty blue print that has a fade line on the middle. That might work if I can cut around the center fold. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Spring Splash on Steroids. What a great way to use a fabric that doesn't seem to work. I like all those purple blocks too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of the reasons I participate in groups such as RSC is to push myself to try new things. The result, as you say, is to learn your preferences. Great idea to dice up those bold prints and combine them with a calming background fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your purple 4 corner blocks, looks easy enough to do. And your 'wild' quilt is awesome! Thanks for the link for the pdf too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Spring Splash on Steroids is a very appropriate name - haha! This is a great quilt tho - I love how you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect way to use up a wild print! The result is so cool. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2026/09/16/wednesday-wait-loss-502

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kat, I love all of your blocks and that wild Spring Splash on Steroids! It was perfect for that pattern. Thanks for linking up to I Quilted This!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What great progress you made with scraps this week! Just love Splish Splash on Steroids! Name and quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful purple blocks and I love your Spring Splash on Steroids!! Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!