Saturday, April 1, 2023

Baby Gingham Plus Quilts

 The  2023 Hands 2 Help   program has begun.  You can read all the details here with Sarah at  Confessions of a Fabric Addict. If this doesn't link to her page, you can click the icon at the top left column of my posts.    



I'd like to start with a super quick and easy quilt that I made just last week.  It was cut and pieced in a short afternoon  and quilted the next day!  It only takes 3 fabrics and super quick cutting since I made my version using stripsets.

The original pattern is called Baby Gingham by Fat Quarter Shop.  You can collect the free pattern here at  


I wanted to adjust the size a bit,  so I added a column of squares on the right side and the bottom.  My quilt finished at 45 x 55  which is a perfect size to fit the printed fleece I like to use for backings.  I also use a thin layer of cotton batting;  BUT  in this case, I had a piece of high loft poly that I wanted to use up, so this quilt is extra puffy.  I curved the corners a tiny bit.  You can still use cross cut binding, but you  won't have to fuss with the mitered corners.  I quilted these on my DSM with a walking foot since they were so puffy.

Actually, when I make quick quilts, I have a habit of making 2 at a time.  Here are the versions I made last week.  They are quilted with Glide threads in appropriate colors.





and here is the fleece backing.  I had enough to back both quilts.


I've added some diagrams in case you want to make your own quick quilts - Baby Gingham style !





If I've omitted anything important, please be sure to contact me for help.  My quilts will be given to the area Ronald McDonald House again this year.  I hope you are inspired to join in on this challenge too.

I'm joining these linky parties and also sharing with Sarah at https://confessionsofafabricaddict.blogspot.com/


Monday   -   Small Quilts & Doll Quilts

        Wednesday   -   Quilt Fabrication

The Inquiring Quilter

Thursday   -   My Quilt Infatuation

Friday  -  Alycia Quilts


I wish you a safe and happy week.  Thanks so much for stopping by.




15 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I plan to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute quilts! Thanks for the pattern! I might try making it with 5 in. strips, since I have a bunch of them I want to use up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The gingham design makes such a fun quilt! I really like how you've made yours to have the blue go all the way around. I never would have thought to make these in 4 patches, either. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this design, and your additional changes to it, Kat! Thanks so much for sharing it with us. This is definitely going in my comfort quilt file!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this pattern and tutorial. I've seen this before on FQS but I've not tried it... now is the time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ve been wanting to make a gingham baby/ small quilt! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful pattern for a baby quilt. I put a note in my box of baby quilt fabrics to remind me of this when I am starting the next baby quilt. Hugs, Judy

    ReplyDelete
  8. So lovely! Your baby quilts are adorable. What great charities you've found to support. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your changes to this quilt...what a perfect pattern for the H2H challenge. I love seeing it in 2 different color ways. Thanks for sharing this fun pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for giving basic directions. I need to scour the stash to see if I have anything that will work. And, thanks for reminding me I need to add Hands 2 Help button to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are the best quilts, aren't they? Fast, easy, and they always look great. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love gingham baby quilts!!! Two fab & fast quilts, super cute, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute quilts!! and that is a fun way to make them!!! I have seen others that do strips - but I like the 4 patch ( ish) idea!!! You could make them kind of scrappy that way... oh you have inspired me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely to see the quilts. Great pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing your method of altering the size of the Baby Gingham quilt, Kat. Both of these are sure to be well loved!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!