Saturday, January 13, 2024

16 Patch Greens

 The beginning of a new year..... the beginning  of the mindset that we can do everything.  Squirrels everywhere !!

I won't mention how many new goals are swirling around in my mind and my sewing room.  Today I'll start with the annual RSC challenge.  I follow it every year, I usually participate but last year I never got to it.  

I also have a new goal to re-organize my tosser bins (scrap bins).  Doesn't it feel like you're accomplishing so much more when you can combine goals into one?  I am using this chore along with the RSC challenge this year.  I will let the tosser bins tell me what needs to be made from the leftovers so my project each month may be different.

As I dug into the green bin,  there wasnt much I liked anymore and they didnt seem to work very well together.  I decided I would make some 16-patch blocks and see where it led to. Since the strips are only 2 inches wide, it was easy to find another green to pair with.  Yesterday I made 18 blocks.


I'm also continuing my goal of making two (2) quilts for kids per month.  This month's challenge fits nicely into that goal.  I think I'll make 2 more 16-patch blocks, that gives me a 4 x 5 grid, add something different to top it off and a border or two. 

I'm joining these linky parties this week.  Be sure to visit them to see what other creative quilters are sharing today.

Saturday  -  soscrappy (superscrappy.blogspot.com)

Monday   -   Small Quilts & Doll Quilts

                      Monday Musings at Songbird Designs

Tuesday  -   Blog Posts – Quilt Schmilt

        Wednesday   -   Quilt Fabrication

The Inquiring Quilter

Thursday   -   My Quilt Infatuation

Friday  -  Alycia Quilts

Confessions of a Fabric Addict


Have a great week.  Thanks so much for stopping by.

10 comments:

  1. An awesome plan! I'm struggling with the new ideas swirling around in my head too. Since I'm at my daughter's house for another week I haven't been able to dive in with anything too crazy. I brought some projects with me to sew while I'm here and will have to be satisfied with those. For now anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 16 patch blocks seem like a great way to cut up some of those old fabrics that you can use anywhere else! These will make a great quilt with a fun border to finish it off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two kid quilts/month is a wonderful goal. You're off to a great start with the 16-patch blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your 16 patches. I'm not sure my scrap baskets would allow me to make any 16 patches -- 2" or 2.5". But it is a good idea. My green basket is overflowing. I like your goal of 2 kid quilts a month. Hope you have plenty of success this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the green blocks--I'm hoping to start my RSC this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great plan! I am there for it. I ambitiously chose a many squares snoflake but I think
    it may be too large for my 2 1/2" square stash! Time for a rethink ! sew on!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There may not be any greens left that you particularly like, but you have paired them well here and the blocks are pretty! Great idea to combine using up scraps with making kid quilts. Here you are, almost done! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/01/17/wednesday-wait-loss-363

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh those darn squirrels! Because after all we can't blame all the wonderful designers who shoo them into our quilt space, LOL! I learned my lesson with greens when I started a project using them a while back. The thing to note is that there are yellow greens (like olive-y), pure greens (like primary colors) and blue-ish greens. they do have different vibes which is how I got stalled working on the project I did. It didn't help that the design I fell in love with had mostly one kind of green and my stash delivered more of the others. But as with all scrap quilts the more you can add/use the merrier it will be. For the kid quilts maybe find a "bridge" fabric for alternating blocks that can guide the way with which to use?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thats a great goal - and I like the 16 patches you have started!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great blocks for the RSC challenge! Thanks for sharing on Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!