Saturday, January 28, 2012

Loose Ends of January

I suppose I should check in.  (grin) . I am keeping so busy, with nothing photo-worthy to share yet.

I have been working on my sofa row quilt.  I sewed the first four panels into sets of two larger panels. I had to piece backings for them, unexpectedly.  Those panels are machine quilted and waiting for final assembly. This is turning out to be one of my larger lap quilts.

I've also gotten the center applique panel ready and waiting for the final step. I made strip sets and turned them into curved borders on the center panel.  I just need to decide the applique now.  The next step is already simmering.  So, itt has reached a stopping point where I can set it aside while another short-term project butts in.

Short-term project:  I am doing mystery block  #64 from  Linda Worland puts out artistically detailed paper piecing blocks every month or so.   Since this is a mystery, I will refrain from posting a photo of my block until the solution is revealed.  I will adapt the size of the mystery block to accommodate my tabletop wire hanger.

and ....................      I have spent evenings knitting hats for local charity groups.

I know, there is nothing here to light any fire under your seat.  I just wanted to drop in and say hello.

Finally,  I am grateful and humbled for God's grace today.  Thank you, Lord.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Curved Borders Applique Panel

This is the center panel for my sofa quilt. The curved edge was created by making a strata, backing the strata with 'heat and bond', cutting the curves with the  24 inch Leaves Galore Ruler, and fusing the border to the background panel.

Ultimately, there will be applique filling in the center strip. I have some burgandys and gold to use in the applique.  I have some teal thread to top stitch the border strip down.  Do you think I should give the curved edge a finished look with bias tape? 

I am getting anxious to get this quilt put together.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Quilt Barns Window Curtain

I thought I'd share a photo of my window curtain for the laundry room. It is made from a panel of quilt barns designed by Deb Strain. I picked up 3 panels last year while in Shipshewana for my birthday.

Originally, I needed 2 panels to make the valances for my quilting studio. I have the valances ready to hang but the rods are not installed yet. I picked up an extra panel of quilt barns, just in case. I'm glad I used it right away.  The laundry room sets just off my studio area, so the theme carries through.

I fussy-cut around the barn blocks so there would be a specific trim of black and gold. Then I added the barn-red border, the checker border and finally the black sashing. An extra piece was needed on the sides to extend the curtain width. I added a backing and a rod casing.  These blocks are so cheery and colorful.  I really enjoy them.
 This project is my first step in "finishing school".

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Checking In A New Year

I have been busy. Yes, I have.  I wish I had something interesting to share, but I've just been dabbling in assorted tasks. I finished my Barn Quilt Valances. They are not hanging up yet...waiting for DH to hang the rods. DH is waiting for me to move quilting tables and supplies, so he can hang the rods. 
We have been sorting thru stuff and boxing up items we no longer have an interest in.  I have managed to sneak in some sewing. I have been working on a Quilt Barn Window Curtain....nearly done with that, I think. That rod is already up!  I hope to be able to share a photo soon.

I've also been pulling fabrics for a Judy Hopkins Mystery Quilt.  Our Piecemakers Quilt Guild is conducting a sew-in later this month with this pattern.  I delay with the cutting, since I am likely to change my fabric choices.  I really needed to start another project, sure.  LOL

Dear God,   I didn't think orange went with purple until I saw the sunset you made yesterday.