I've been creating fan flowers. Lots of finicky work and pre- planning, but very enjoyable. I have 8 flowers of assorted sizes ready now. I dont know how many I'll need. I may resort to making a bunch of smaller ones. After that setting is figured out, then there is the stems and leaves and fence and raindrops. I dont forsee getting bored with it yet.
Close-ups of the latest 7 flowers ready now..................
Yards and yards of jumbo ric rac and I may need some more. I hope the local store has re-stocked their supply. If you missed Phase I of this project, you can read about it HERE
I changed the name of my Dresden Gardens project to Fanciful Garden, because I am making fans instead of dresdens, simply to keep it easier for attaching to the quilt top.
Here is a photo of the background put together from collecting batiks that would appear gradated. This is my canvas for applying all the fans and accessories.
Last week I made a few fanciful flowers and spent some time experimenting with methods to dress it up before attaching to the quilt top.
Here is the first fan made with pretty blues. I truly thought I had gone overboard dressing it up and quilting it to death, as they say. We had a sew day at church yesterday. I brought this sample with me to get another quilter friends' opinion. She immediately loved it and convinced me not to scrap it, but to continue with these design elements.
And so, here it is to share with you all. I will not be offended if you offer alternate opinions and design ideas. I welcome them all !
When I stitched the arcs with the gold thread, it didn't show up alot, so I went over it 2 more times. I intend to apply white jumbo ric rac on the outside edge before applying to the quilt top. I need to visit the store to get a supply of ric rac.
This is the back, just so you can see all the stitching. It will not be visible after the fan is applied to the quilt top.
I'm linking up with Susan of Quiltfabrication and Lorna of Sew Fresh Quilts. Be sure to visit these sites to see what other creative quilters are sharing today.
I did some piecing from the pink scrap bins ...... (9) - 20 triangles blocks (hidden gems) ; 55 pink hourglass blocks and 23 silver/cream hourglass blocks for the separating borders. I will add these to the building WIP collections for Bonnie Hunter's Hourglass Quilt and the Hidden Gems quilt.
I'm linking up with Angela of Soscrappy for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2018
and on Sunday with Cynthia for Oh Scrap.. Be sure to visit these great sites to see what others are sharing today.
The name of this quilt makes perfect sense if you know how it came to be. It all started last November with Bonnie Hunter's annual mystery ... On Ringo's Pond. I loved the color palette but wasn't ready to begin another huge, multi-pieced project. I still have last years' mystery in many parts living in a clear plastic tub.
Okay so the color palette is different on this quilt. I was all pumped to start collecting coral and aqua fabrics - practically none of those in my stash. But then, I have so much fabric, did I really want to start collecting new ones for this project.?
I loved the idea of browns, and so I substituted greens and blues for the corals and aquas. All the parts came from my scrappy bins except the white background.
ICC is in the title because it was a new years challenge on Stashbusters yahoo group...all started by our instigator Lori1R. I am working on my 5th ICC this year, which is all new starts. ICC stands for Irish Chain Challenge.
Ringo Starr of Beatles fame (my era) and of course the friendship stars in this quilt, so the title was born - On Ringo's Starr ICC #1 - started last November. I quilted it with curvvy orange peels on the star blocks and some dot to dot quilting on the chain blocks.
This is what I've done during stolen moments this week. It is not my usual RSC projects this year, but I can share because it used up most of my pinks (which I don't have alot of anyway).
This fun project would only take one full day to assemble, if you have the whole day to work on it. It was so fast, the flying geese units are jumbo size. I expect lots of fun when I get to quilt on it. It is a free pattern offered here :
This is folded in half vertically to fit on my design wall for a photo, it actually measures 72 x 81. There was a flying geese challenge on the Stashbusters list and this project certainly busted some stash. I know .... that black and white checked fabric will make you dizzy and I wanted to get it used up.
I am linking up with Angela of Soscrappy. Be sure to visit there to see what other creative quilters are sharing today.