Thursday, June 21, 2012

Autumn Strings Quilt

My Autumn Strings quilt is finally finished. This project began way back on August 01, 2011.  It's purpose was to clear out some of the pieces in my scrap bins.  I decided on warm colors of autumn and started trimming strings and tossing them into the project string box.  When the box was full, I started the 36 string blocks. The posts for this project began here:
http://scrapboxquilts.blogspot.com/2011/08/string-quilt-2.html  When those blocks were finished, they were neatly trimmed to size and put back in the string box.  This seemed like a good stopping point.

Well, it seems my scrap bins are overstuffed again.  What to do?  I guess I'll have to sew more string blocks to get those bins under control.  So before I could do that, I had to quilt up the batch that was started last summer.  This should have been a quick undertaking.  Ha!  I  have been working on it for the past 2 weeks.  However, I now have a photo to share.  YAY!



and here is the back


Now I can plan my next string orchestra with a clear conscience!  Are you encouraged to make some string blocks?  Thanks for visiting!







6 comments:

  1. Doing string blocks is very addictive!!! Your blocks are just gorgeous, what a wonderful quilt, nicely put together!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your nice comments, Merilyn. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Front and back it's a great quilt!! And yes indeed I am encouraged to make some strings. Once I finish the Tossed Salad quilt, I'm going to use the greens as string blocks for an applique baes. I do love how you have the block bordering the center strip. It looks like velvet in there and I just want to reach out and touch it :) Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I have been using muslin. I make them by the standards as on Heartstrings. If you visit there, Mary has wonderful files and the yahoo group has a fantastic gallery. If you are interested in string blocks, that is the place to be. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the way the thin black sashing makes the colors stand out and the way you even put the sashing on the back. I have 3 huge jars full of strings, but I'm afraid to open them. Every time I start to use one, it winds up turning into 2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful!! I love string quilts. The back looks great, too. Did you use a 'quilt as you go' technique?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!