Friday, September 27, 2013

Blooming 9-Patch Quilt Along

We are having a QAL over at Cbees yahoo group this weekend.  There are some questions on how to go about the planning of a Blooming 9-Patch.  Since I can include photos here, I thought I would show how I am approaching my plan.

The quilt is 45 x 49 inches.  All the blocks finish at 3 inches.  Here is my quilt layout:  



Fabric Requirements:
            It may seem odd, but if I have limited quantity of a fabric, I figure my needs in inches.  I have only 35" of my dark blue paisley. EQ said I needed 1-1/4 yd for this fabric.  So, I worked my cutting out in inches,  a daunting task.  Hopefully no errors,  it came out needing 32".

I am concentrating on the center design for now. We'll deal with the borders and binding later.

               dark blue paisley ...............  32 "
               light blue ...........................  16 "
               light green .........................  26 "


Cut the squares and triangles first. You can cut from the leftovers to use in the 9-patches.
                                                                                                                                                                 
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Cut  ( 36 )  squares  @  3-1/2 "



Cut  ( 18 ) squares @  3-1/2 "



Cut  ( 2 )  strips @  6 ";  from these strips cut : 
these are slightly oversize, but you will trim them later, plus you will get more cutting options from the leftover

    Cut  ( 8 )  squares @  6 "                                         

 Cross cut the 8 squares into 32  side triangles; you will be using 30 triangles
      

Cut  ( 4 ) squares @ 3-1/2 ";  2 of these are for the quilt center, 2 are for the corner triangles
Cross cut 2 of the above squares into ( 4 ) hst for corners



Make  30  @ 3-1/2 "



Make  6  @ 3-1/2 "



Make  14  @ 3-1/2"



Make  22 @ 3-1/2"


3 comments:

  1. If I double the size of each piece cut--would it be 56 x 63 in the center of the quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I goofed--Would it not be 48 x 54?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info! I so want to do this and hope I get started within the next couple weeks

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!