Thursday, January 30, 2014

Woven Nap Quilt

I needed to make a nap quilt and the Woven block kept calling to me.  It is a 12 inch finished block, but since it could be dissected into 2-patches and 4-patches, re-sizing the units would be easy math. This block looks so easy and modern.

I'll call this the Woven Nap quilt. It is meant to be the sidekick to a larger baby quilt. It is 33 inches square and backed with light purple fleece.  It was such fun to make and quilt up.

 

I just knew this block had interesting design potential so I let EQ do the work.  What a superb program Electric Quilt is,  the absolute most fun you can have with a computer!


Okay, so here is the basic block:   
     12 " finished



 I worked up some layout examples.  

          Woven Nap Quilt 1 - 33" x 33"                                                      
                             


     Woven Nap Quilt 2 - 33" x 33
   4 blocks  rotated - to mix it up



Woven Baby Quilt 1 - 45 x 45
9 blocks - straight set (not rotated)


               Woven Baby Quilt 2 - 45 x 45
                            9 blocks - rotated   






        
Woven Lap Quilt 2 - 62 x 74
     20 blocks - rotated several times




 and finally,  I love this one!


Woven Lap 3  On Pointe
   no rotation necessary!  52 x 65
                                                                                                 
The white centers can accommodate applique motifs or fancy quilting.


Maybe I show too many examples?  I like to see how a design works up in the quilt sizes I make the most.
I really, really like this block!  I also like how rotating the blocks make it look like you've gone to great trouble to mix it up and blend the colors.  Often, the on-pointe layout is a winner.  

You can find cutting and assembly instructions for the woven block prepared by sewhappygeek HERE:

If you have EQ7 installed on your computer, you can drop me an email and I'll be happy to share my project with you. Be sure to mention that you have EQ7, otherwise I might think you were just kindly leaving a comment. I hope you are inspired.  I'm linking up with Kelly of My Quilt Infatuation where you will find lots of other creative quilters sharing their works.  

Thanks for visiting!

9 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful nap quilt and it's amazing how the pattern can change with colors and rotation etc. Thanks for sharing. I've already sent you an email asking for the pattern in EQ7. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. I just discovered the woven block about a week ago but only the original block. Your variations are terrific. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great block! I love anything on point and this one looks fabulous on point. Love the open space for a nice quiiltng motif.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun block! I'm bookmarking this for later reference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet quilt, so many fun variations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is such a great quilt! I love the colors. Thanks for showing all of the possibilities with the layout. I have been chomping at the bit to get EQ7, but I really want it to come out for Mac first!

    Thanks so much for linking up with Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great quilt and I love the variations xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it on point Kat! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great quilt! Would love the EQ file. I have EQ7 and this would make a nice QOV. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!