Wednesday, August 31, 2016

CCQ #35 - Chubby Rails

I needed to make quick work of my charity quilt for this month.  Club meeting is tomorrow and I just got it finished yesterday,  and I cut up a nice kit for someone to take home and stitch up for next month.  It is pretty butterflies, alternating with yellow and royal blue trim.  The kit has everything, cut pieces for top, batting, backing, prepared binding  and this basic project sheet.




 Feel free to download a copy for yourself.




Here is my version of the quilt, 40 x 48.  I was not satisfied with  the proportion of the rails, and so I modified the dimensions in the pattern sheet.


No need to look too closely at the quilting.  I have recently ventured into free motion quilting.  I do practice everyday.  This is the first quilt I actually used it on.  I SITD along all the blocks, then swirled in the centers.  I had a difficult time moving the quilt around.  I wonder if it's because the backing is fleece?  I am using the supreme slider.  I had better control with my little practice quilt sandwiches.   I shall not abandon the FMQ ship yet.

Today I'm linking up with Lorna of Sew Fresh Quilts  and  Susan of Quilt Fabrication.  Be sure to visit these sites to see what other quilters are sharing today.

I also joined a great link-up on Friday with  TGIFF at Quilt Matters.

Thanks so much for stopping by.

4 comments:

  1. It looks great - my favorite color!
    Thanks for sharing on Midweek Makers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice design - great for comfort quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, just the name is a winner! What fun. I do love me some rails - so satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for a great finish, Kat! Definitely keep up with the FMQ. You didn't learn how to write in a day. FMQ is the same. Fleece could be the issue. The other thing I learned to do is to pin baste more closely together. I do every 3-4". It takes a bit longer, but I don't get any shifting. Worth it in my book. Could you add TGIFF! to your post so your readers know where to find us too? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!