Saturday, August 10, 2024

Help! How Do I Quilt It challenge

 This is a free motion quilting challenge presented by Angela Walters of Quilting Is My Therapy. It is just wrapping up. The feather border quilting will be showcased on Angela's  you.tube channel on Tuesday. The videos will remain for you to watch anytime.

BUT ..... it's not too late to start, right?   Old habits die hard and since I prefer to start quilting near the middle of the quilt, I waited until the end.  I quilt on a Janome mid arm sit-down machine. In this challenge, Angela started the lessons on the outside of the quilt and worked inward.  I was okay with waiting until the end since I "JUST"  got my quilt sandwich pin basted this week!  But I watched the video demos each week and I'm anxious to begin.  So fun!

It took me  FOREVER  to decide on additional borders  for the center panel to bring it to queen size.  I used an accuquilt die to cut the half rectangle triangles.  Turns out all my border blocks finished  1/4" smaller than originally needed.  So ........  back to EQ  to work in some spacing borders and re-calculate number of pieced blocks to make everything fit.  I was SO EXCITED when assembling the pieced border fit perfectly all around !!  

It measures 97 x 104 before quilting.  I had to pin baste it on tables at the church.  I could have used more pins but I hope there is enough to hold it together. The quilt center and feather border are printed panels; then I added the last 5 borders.  Originally I was planning a ribbon border design but changed it to this half rectangle block design.  I know it will be a blast to quilt once I get past the center bulk.





I'm joining these lovely linky parties this week.  Be sure to visit them to see what other creative quilters are sharing.

Saturday -  Quilting Patchwork Appliqué

                        soscrappy (superscrappy.blogspot.com)

Sunday  -  Quilting is more fun than Housework...

Monday   -   Small Quilts & Doll Quilts

                      Monday Musings at Songbird Designs

        Wednesday   -   Quilt Fabrication

The Inquiring Quilter

Thursday   -   quiltinglearningcombo.blogspot.com

My Quilt Infatuation

Friday  -  Alycia Quilts


Wishing you all a lovely creative week.  Thanks so much for stopping by.





8 comments:

  1. One of the advantages of printed fabrics is you won't have to deal with seams for that section of the quilt. Should make for a great platform to do the QAL. I'm curious, did Angela share why she was starting on the outside edge vs. the center? Like you, I always start near the center, since I feel this avoids bunching. Congratulations on expanding your borders to fit the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The two borders are very pretty together, well done making them fitting the new quilt dimensions! You've found the perfect table for basting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is gorgeous, Kat! And huge, too. I'll be interested to see how you do quilt it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh That is so pretty!!! Can't wait to see how you quilt it - Is it hard to get to the middle on a quilt that size?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty quilt! I can't wait to see how you quilt each section. Angela is an excellent teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful quilt. It will be amazing when you quilt it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kat, I'm so excited to see your quilting! Thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!