Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Log Cabin Rose

This block design has created some interest on my favorite yahoo group, C-bees, which is a sister list of Cyberquilters. One of the members, Jean, posted a pic of her Curved Log Cabin quilt, queen size! It created a stir because some quilters have not been exposed to the mystery of all quilt blocks. It was required to explain how a square block could come out looking round?

I unofficially call this design "Log Cabin Rose". It is made up from just this one block. Rotating the blocks and changing the number of blocks will ultimately alter the design it produces. This is a square block. The circles and curves are created because the lavender strips are wider than the blue strips, creating the illusion of being rounded.

This block is in the EQ library, filed under 'Foundation Pieced -Log Cabins'. They gave it the title "Off Center 6 - Log Cabin".  You could also piece this block in the traditional way.

 



This is what can result from rotating the blocks. I call this layout the Rose Medallion.




I call this layout the Vertical Strip Rose



I call this layout the Circles and Stars Rose. This is similar to the layout that Jean used for her quilt, only she used many more blocks!



and you could also use this block to simulate a scallop border..................................you could use it to surround any of your favorite quilt centers



I hope you found this article interesting.  If you have EQ7 software installed on your computer, you can download this file and continue designing. You can access the Log Cabin Rose file here:

If you find this file helpful, please leave a comment.

Thank you for stopping by to see what I've been up to!

4 comments:

  1. You can also form a heart with the blocks. I know I have a file with a heart layout, but I can't find it now. I did make it once (before EQ), but unfortunately used a fabric that raveled terribly, so it no longer is. Someday I'll make it again.
    I found it--it was for one of the info-eq Challenges. Let me know if you'd like me to email it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how that turned out as a border. I might have to learn how to do the log cabin and put it in a border. :)

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kat I only have EQ5, but I do have that block and have been sitting here having fun arranging and rearranging it first as the main part of the quilt and then as a border. It will print out as a one piece paper piecing pattern. I'm in a round robin, and this might be a nice border for a future quilt. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Providing the inspiration is one of my favorite gifts, LuAnn. EQ makes it real easy to share that. Many of my designs are 'accidents'. Those are the most fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!